The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:33 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Lake Vyrnwy
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:27 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I'd never been wildlife watching to Wales before my recent visit starting May 9th to May 16th. Before going I had researched the area well and the target birds were Pied Flycatcher, Wood Warbler and Redstart [ got the latter at Rimac a week or so before] but still had it on my list. Also hoped to see some "new" butterflies for me.

The first full day decided to chill out and do a recce of the area luckily it was a fine but windy day. Drove on the southern edge of the lake and went as far as Y Gadfa and I parked up and this gave me an advantage point. The road leading to it is narrow, winding and steep and care needs to be taken. Before I got company of two guys from Suffolk I'd seen six Wheatear and quite a few Mipits, one of the guys picked up on a Red Kite and a Whinchat, we also had three Raven. They left and I stayed another hour.

Following day it was very warm, sunny and windy. I did a full circuit of the lake spending most time in the Centenary Hide and got my first ever view of a Pied Fly' manged to get it on video and photos, what a lovely little bird. Also got Wood Warbler and other birds singing on tape. On way back in the evening called at the hide next to cafe and had a Great spotted Woodpeckar on the feeder, had left camera in car, fetched it and said bird had gone! The birds are extremly close on the feeders and they are not concerned that the public are only feet away from them! Siskins were the main birds on the feeders along with Chaffinch and on the ground were Pheasants and other woodland birds. During the day only got four butterflies of which one was an Orange Tip and the others were Green-vein White.

Third day was similar weather. Called at hide near cafe first and got a lifer in Marsh Tit it was so close but not easy to take a snap of because it was on the ground right next to the hide, but I got a record shot. Common Buzzards were seen most places and near the cottage I stayed in. Also saw some more Raven and Peregrine high above the hills. More Wheatear were seen on Y Gadfa. A late evening drive round the lake saw a male Pintail just about to fly off, was told that is a good record, so was chuffed! Also had Redstart during the day.

On Wednesday drove over to the Mawddach Estuary but having no knowledge of the tide times it turned out to be a wasted trip seeing little of note. I came back via Lake Bala and saw loads of hirundines. Thought I'd go back the scenic route but realised I'd taken the wrong turn and found myself going over the Hirnant Pass, fantastic views on a clear day but this wasn't it was foggy! Never been on such a scary drive before, the road or should I say track is only as wide as the car and is winding and very steep with sheer drops at one side, was I pleased to get to the other side lol... On the way over quite a few Wheatear flew past window.

Thursday saw me desparate to get at least one Grey Wagtail having seen none all week, another bird in short supply was Dipper, those I spoke to said these birds were all over, but they were evading me! Called at the rickety bridge not to far from my accomodation where I was told they were certainty, they were, got two on the rocks in the river and on way back got a Nuthatch. Parked up at Dyfnant Forest for a few hours and got Jay, Sprawk, Lesser SW, Whitethroat, Swifts, Common Buzzard [pics] and others. In the rear view mirror noticed an animal about the size of a Jack Russell which was either black or brown it stood looking my way for sometime then went, no idea what it was.

Friday looked around the Sculpture Park and had a male Blackcap, at the dam wall ahd a pair of Grey Wags, and after visiting the Centenary Hide again and only getting a Common Sand' drove to the River Vyrnwy and finally got the Dipper in fact got two [pics]. On the lake was a single female and seven male Goosander. Heard Wood Warbler as well.

For me the HIGHLIGHT of the week was hand feeding a pair of Chaffinch at one of the picnic sites. As I was approaching it wound the window half way down and the female landed on it and took me by surprise, I said " hello", it just stared at me, I couldn't believe how tame it was, then the male landed on passenger side wing mirror, then another one landed on wiper! Just happened I had a ham sandwich so started breaking bits off and feeding them, they flew across road [where I thought maybe they had juvs] and kept coming back sometimes landing on the wing mirror at both sides. I did manage to get a few photos and also tried filming them but could have done with another pair of hands. Looking forward to seeing them on my next trip later in year. Didn't get there, went to the Ceredigion region instead, report hopefully soon!

These Chaffinches made my first holiday alone for thirty years a very memorable one and one which will live forever!

Lastly I had read that this area is underwatched but it certainly won't be in future if I've got anything to do with it.
In total saw or heard 60 bird species. Will list them later.

Kind regards

John [Max stayed at home]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]