The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 12:45 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:47 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Having difficulty in finding bird watching sites in Northumberland with Hides.
Normally we have no problem with the great outdoors,but this year due to health problems we have to take care in where we go, so in need of some cover.
Would be very pleased of any help or advice,
Many thanks, Mike Surr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:07 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

When and where are you going? Only know the coast but am familiar with it from Cresswell to Holy Island. Go up there most springs so post on here and I will reply or pm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:23 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

We hope to go towards the end of Sept. and usually stay in the Bamburgh area,
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:37 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Right here goes.
First I should post on Birdforum under the Northumberland thread. They are a very helpful bunch.
Another site is www.ntbc.org.uk and also check out their links.

Starting in the south. Cresswell pond NZ283944 has a hide. Not been there but it seems to throw up some good birds.
Druridge Pools NZ272965 has several hides has does East Chevington.Drudidge Country Park has a visitor centre.
Hauxley Nature Reserve NU285023 has several hides one near the car park.Chance of Roseate Tern in late summer also from car park south of Amble where you can scope Coquet Island and also in the Aln estuary at Alnmouth.
All these resrves are east of A1068 south of Amble.

North of here no hides that I know of except one at Newton Pool south of Low Newton- by -Sea. Haven't been to this one as in the spring I walk the dunes to the north for migrants.

The car is the best hide as you go north. The road from Warkworth to Amble alongside the Coquet river is good.
The end of the High Street in Alnmouth gives views of the estuary and beach.
Just north of here is one of my favourite areas - Boulmer. A car park allows views of the beach and rocks so waders etc also sometimes good sea passage of shearwaters etc.
North of here after Longhoughton take a right turn along the coast road. There is a small lay by where you can pull in and watch the cliffs to the north for sebirds - kittiwakes nest here,plenty of eider in the bay and sometimes sea passage.
Craster is always a nice place to be and you can overlook the harbour.
Seahouses is good as you can scope the Farnes.
Between here and Bamborough there is a pool on your left going north which is worth a look - again viewable from the road.
Bamborough you will know but Stag rock at high water is good - had 100+ purple sands there this spring. On the OS map it is marked as Harkness rocks but someone has painted a stag on it hence the name. Follow the road from Bamburgh to the golf course and you will see the rocks plus good car parking where you can view from.
Budle Bay to the north is magic and can be viewed fro the roadside.
Holy Island apparantly has a hide but my visits are usually short so I usually just check the dunes to the north for migrants.

Seriously post on Birdforum and those guys will fill in the details. Post how you get on as I wont get there until next spring now.

Hugh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:29 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Many thanks for that information Hugh, much appreciated. May try different accommadation to work that area, will also check out the websit. Will let you know how we get on,
Many thanks, Mike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:11 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I actually prefer the north of the region so investigate fully before moving south. Personally am not too impressed with the reserves south of Amble. You can always travel down for the day and see what you think.

Hugh

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]