The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:25 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Ceredigion
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:22 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Rather late putting this report on but my excuse is computer out of action for two months and I'm not exactly quick at doing anything :lol: Here goes:

Second week in October stayed near Aberaeron in a lovely little cottage with a few acres and a decent sized pond. Arrived early Saturday evening it was pitch black and I had trouble finding the cottage. Next day I took it easy and saw Red Kite over the pond, while in lounge spotted a Nuthatch on the wall outside with that got the camera ready but that was last I saw of it :x Pond had half a dozen Mallard, Moorhen and in garden the usual birds.

Monday had 2 Kite and Sprawk over. Drove to Ynyslas and on way saw 3 Buzz & 4 Kite. Drove onto the sand dunes to start, bit too busy for me, but scanned anyway saw L. Egret, Oyk, assorted gulls, Raven, Ringed Plover, Golden Plover, Cormorant, Grey Heron and then parked at visitor centre and watched a pair of Stonechat, Pied Wag and mipit while I sat in car. Each took turns having a wash, managed to get video of the male 'chat and a few pics of the others. Then drove to Borth and did a bit of seawatching and saw my first Dolphins :) Also had Common Scoter, Gannet, Sanderling etc. Had quite a few chats with the locals.

Tuesday at cottage had Sprawk, Buzz, Kite, Jay, Common Darter, Southern Hawker etc. Then later went to Cors Caron didn't do any walking just viewed from car and set scope up. Went to Maesllyn Lake but it was almost devoid of ducks, did get a Tree Creeper and 4 Raven though. Had a long informative chat with a ranger who told me I was there at the wrong time for the birds I'd hoped to see [raptors] best time is June/July.

Wednesday went to Teifi Estuary stopped off at St. Dogmaels and close to Poppit Sands. In the region of 2000 gulls plus usual waders including Little Egret. Then visited the Welsh Wildlife Centre and while there recorded the first winter Redwing there. Saw the Water Buffalo and got a pic. Other than that not many birds about. At cottage pond had two Common Snipe.
Thursday went to New Quay for Chough but was out of luck and nothing else there except excellent pastys, bit pricey though :lol:

Friday had a drive round the villages nearby and a couple of nearby beaches. At a reserve nearby had Wigeon, Teal, Pink-foot, Snow Goose [blue and white morph], Barnacle Goose, White-fronted Goose, Pintail, Whooper and nearby 11 Kite being fed by the look of it.

Saturday popped into Aberaeron for gifts and checked out the harbour and got Shag.

On way home had a close encounter with this forums fave bogey bird the Goshawk :lol:

Really enjoyed visiting this area for the first time and look forward to my return next year.

Kind regards

Max

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]