The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:36 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:04 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Saw my first Ruddy Shelduck using a scope in the Optics Marquee at the Birdfair. Asked a lot of people at the event if this was a lifer in the official sense of the word.

2 text messages said 'tick it', but the RSPB, BTO and Chris Packham said no.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:25 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

You have got me thinking Katherine and when you look at what Lincolnshire Listers have ticked there is some inconsistency with what you were told by the experts. So I went on the internet and this is what I found (beats watching Eastenders)

I still find it confusing so I will leave it to the experts to explain why most have Ruddy Shelduck on their list. It is classed as Category B I believe but when you look at the criteria you would have thought that it has been recorded apparently wild in Lincs/Britain since 1949

I am confused

The British List

BOU Species categories

In 1997 categorisation was revised to assist protection under national wildlife legislation, especially of naturalised species. Category C has been expanded to allow species with different histories to be distinguished; Category D has been reduced in scope, and a Category E (not included in this list) has been introduced to enable local and national recorders to monitor escaped species.

A Species that have been recorded in an apparently natural state at least once since 1 January 1950.

B Species that were recorded in an apparently natural state at least once between 1 January 1800 and 31 December 1949, but have not been recorded subsequently.

C Species that, although introduced, now derive from the resulting self-sustaining populations.

C1 Naturalized introduced species – species that have occurred only as a result of introduction, e.g. Egyptian Goose Alopochen aegyptiacus

C2 Naturalized established species - species with established populations resulting from introduction by Man, but which also occur in an apparently natural state, e.g. Greylag Goose Anser anser

C3 Naturalized re-established species - species with populations successfully re-established by Man in areas of former occurrence, e.g. Red Kite Milvus milvus

C4 Naturalized feral species - domesticated species with populations established in the wild, e.g. Rock Pigeon (Dove)/Feral Pigeon Columba livia .

C5 Vagrant naturalized species - species from established naturalized populations abroad, e.g. possibly some Ruddy Shelducks Tadorna ferruginea occurring in Britain. There are currently no species in category C5.

C6 Former naturalized species – species formerly placed in C1 whose naturalized populations are either no longer self-sustaining or are considered extinct, e.g. Lady Amherst's Pheasant Chrysolophus amherstiae .

D Species that would otherwise appear in Category A except that there is reasonable doubt that they have ever occurred in a natural state. Species placed in Category D only form no part of the British List, and are not included in the species totals.

E Species that have been recorded as introductions, human-assisted transportees or escapees from captivity, and whose breeding populations (if any) are thought not to be self-sustaining. Species in Category E that have bred in the wild in Britain are designated as E*. Category E species form no part of the British List (unless already included within Categories A, B or C).

F Records of bird species recorded before 1800.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]