The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 12:17 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Nothing to GROUSE about
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:00 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Had an annual trip to the north to look for black grouse yesterday,it was bitterly cold but bright and clear the results were,
28 blackcocks
14 greyhens
21 red grouse.
Although viewing conditions were ideal with good light blackcocks seemed to be in short supply this year, whereas in previous years counts had usually been 40-50 blockcock with a peak of 74 one year.
We also have noted that the blackcock seem to prefer shorter cropped grassy areas than the greyhen and they were not lekking on this trip. The greyhen tend to be in more tussocky type vegetation and we had a record count for them this year. This could be that we ere 3/4 wks earlier than our normal grouse run and the blackcock were a bit more scattered than usual, not very green i am afraid but a superb trip.
We then headed to hartlepool bay where the sea was flat calm then on to saltholme where major construction works are underway by the rspb and from what i could observe will be superb at this well known birding venue.
Big bag of fish and chips at seaton carew to nearby cries of whos ate all the pies, still wiped my greasy chin and headed home. highlights from bay area etc were,
19 purple sands
adult med gull almost full summer
lots red throat divers
eider
scoter
mergs
few auks
but generally very quite.

Terry Whalin with my Derbyshire birding buddies Dave Sneap & Brian Hill

A good days birding in good company and a good few laughs along the way.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]