The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:34 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Scotland ( Morvern)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:20 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

On the 29th August travelled to Scotland stopping at a B & B in Moffat. Set off next morning just before nine, stopped in Dumbarton for shopping etc and finally arrived at our destination about four. This was my first trip back for almost fifty years. Last went on a day trip with school to Isle of Bute.

We were in the western end of the Morvern area. We rented a cottage for a week, which overlooked the Sound of Mull. Driving along the narrow roads for such a long way needed all my concentration, so I couldn't take in the scenery as much as I would have liked.

I had hoped to see the eagles but didn't. We knew before hand there would be a good chance of seeing Otters and an almost 100% chance of seeing Pine Martens. We were not disappointed. Otters were seen most days from the rocks which were only 200 yards from the cottage. One day we saw the female with three young, which was fantastic, especially as I'd never seen an Otter before in the wild. Pine Martens we were told are partial to jam sandwiches so we took two jars and a couple of loaves. On Sept 1st I went for an early morning stroll and spotted my first ever sighting of a Pine Marten [male] it was at the side of the cottage, the time was just before seven. After that we saw them every night around nine o'clock both the male and female. My pal would cut the bread into 2" squares and scatter them all about the patio and on the table. Sure enough when it started to get dark they would come, we took photos of the but they didn't come out to well, but at least we have record shots. We both got within inches of them, they were obviously used to people supplying them with their favourite. Not sure why but they preferred raspberry to apricot :lol:

The birds I saw for the first time were Shag, Eider and Hooded Crow. The latter came in the garden a couple of times.

Roe Deer came in the garden most days and we managed to photograph them quite close, one came to the window which made me jump. We also had 30 Common Seal every day close to the pontoon.

The garden had feeders and one morning we counted 57 Chaffinch plus assorted tits.

One day we had a drive out and went to Strontian, Glenborrodale and the Ardnamuchan Visitor Centre. Also visited Lochaline a few times, it has the only shop for miles and a small cafe near the ferry terminal [although we didn't go in] and an hotel.

The list of birds seen by one or the other of us were as follows:

Hooded Crow
Arctic Skua
Siskin
Stonechat
Rock Pipit
Eider
Sparrowhawk
Song and Mistle Thrush
Great Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Common Gull
Barn Owl
Common Buzzards [they were about the garden and all over the place]
Grey Heron [never seen so many]
Whinchat
Raven
Grey Wags
Mipit
Curlew
House Sparrow - 1 female
Peregrine
Swallow
House Martin
Tree Creeper
Gannet
Cormorant
Wren
Pied Wag
Tawny Owl [ we heard it every night]
Robin
Merlin [over garden]
Oystercatcher
Nuthatch [in garden]
Greenfinch
Bullfinch
Redpoll

My pal went down to the rocks and saw in the Sound of Mull a Minke Whale and Porpoises unfortunately I wasn't well enough to go, so missed out! On another time minus me he saw Black Guillemot and Black Tern.

Also dragons, moths and butterflies.

There is so much more to tell but I'm sure you have got the drift, don't want to bore you :wink:

We both enjoyed the holiday and especially the location, a first for us both. Will most certainly go again!

One thing I don't recommend is driving the 410 miles in one day, which I decided to do coming home, my worst decision ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! #-o Took me four days to recover including two days sleeping!!!!

Kind regards

John / Max

Last edited by John T Goy on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Scotland
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:05 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Max,
Apart from the return journey flog, that sounds like a very relaxing and enjoyable holiday, with a good list of birds and mammals. Scotland's certainly a great place for a natural history holiday and of course you don't have to waste time at crowded airports or seaports to get there. Admittedly, it's quite a few miles from Lincs but, as you say, another time you'd limit your per day driving miles .
Your report made for a good read.

Regards,

Freddy

Post subject: Re: Scotland
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:32 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hello Freddy,

When it comes to writing reports both you and I leave no stone unturned, so that the reader comes away happy, as you have done.

Thanks

Max

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]