The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:12 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dragonfly Id
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:37 pm 

Not very up on Dragonflies, but was watching a big one flying around my garden tonight whose main colour was a bright green. Can anyone help me id it please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:08 pm 
North Lincs Bird Recorder

Southern Hawker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:20 pm 

Does the name imply it's only usually found down south?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:47 am 

It's pretty common roughly below the Wash and more local further north, extending to N Yorks with a few outposts in Scotland. Its flight period is mid July to Sept. They like woodland clearings and rides and often come to gardens presumably because some have similar qualities

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:40 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

On the subject of Dragonfly ID , whilst walking around a local wood looking for butterflies I came across a really large dragonfly coming
up the ride.Not being a dragonfly expert I took a few notes and made a rough sketch... matching up in a field guide at home it seems to fit the
species Golden ringed dragonfly , the distribution map however shows a complete absence from the midlands and the east of the countryand also confirms habitat as streams .
The thorax and abdomen black with yellow diagonal bands , wings a dark colour .The abdominal segments appeared black with a white patch on the top of each segment.
Only other similar species looks like an immature southern hawker , these appear to have clear wings though ?? Any suggestions ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:23 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Brown Hawker----can look dark and the only obvious large species with dark wing colouration--Golden Ringed is a species of bog moorland and acid heaths never recorded in Lincs as far as I am aware and not a wandering species

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]