The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:56 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:09 pm 
Web Master
Web Master

Started a new thread as the old one was getting just a bit elongated!

Tony, one of the RSPB volunteers at the Digby, has contacted me and asked me to pass on, that today (15th July) there were 3 juv. Montagu’s Harrier seen at one time. I guess that if you wish to see spectacular food passes and lots of ‘action’ the next week should/could be the best.

Interestingly, I had the male fly over the A153 at Anwick Fen today – just a short hop as the Montagu’s goes, this would indicate that the male bird can be feeding south of the A153 in the South Kyme area?

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:00 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

YEEKIE SQUEEKIE!!!!! :o

I'm gonna pass out again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:40 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

The three juveniles showed well on occasions today. There were a few food passes from adults to the youngsters also one juvenile on view for some time sitting in the corn.
Picture of a juv. in the album.

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:36 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

The 2 adults & at least 2 of the 3 juvs seen today in poor wet weather. Not surprisingly the birds were spending much of the time on the ground with only brief spells spent in the air.

regards

Chris (with Keith Scott & Tony Housman)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi all

Given that the juveniles are now flying well, we think that there is a good chance that this weekend could well be the best opportunity that you may have for seeing them (weather permitting!). Certainly, they may start to become more erratic as the days go on, and of course they will be leaving at some point in the not too distant future. So, if you can only come to visit Britains rarest breeding raptor once, probably best to make it this weekend. I'll certainly be getting over there at some point to reaquaint myself with the birds.

For more details on access and directions, please see http://www.rspb.org.uk/brilliant/sites/montagusharrier/ and all will be revealed...

Cheers,

PF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:49 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Paul
has there been a definite sighting of 4 juvs in the air? there were 3 together last night after the rain cleared and all 3 were up constantly for about 20 minutes; claims of 4 came from people who were including the female as well; for would be observers the birds were mostly even further back than normal today over the field beyond the cereal field but still good views through the scope

some appallingly poor images of juvs on the blog now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Graham

I've only seen one juv, so i'm in no real position to comment. However, those with much more experience than me strongly suspect there to be four (and they definately know the difference between females and juvs), but as far as i know only three have ever been seen together. I guess we'll have a definate answer some time very soon. I should be there all day Sunday, so will see what i think then.

Cheers,

Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sunday 29 July news

The Monts put in a decent showing for most of the day. The adults were seen erratically, with both birds off for long hunting trips. In fact, i was told that the male was even seen at Nocton by some Black Kite watchers! Just goes to show how far he'll travel at times, and explains his long absences sometimes. The four juveniles (all four were accounted for today) are all still in the close vicinity of the viewpoint, and were often up and about practicing their skills. There was lots of pigeon chasing and crow chasing going on, and it made a nice change to see a raptor having a go at a corvid!

Cheers,
PF

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]