The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 8:32 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:47 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

The good days don't happen very often but today was one of them. I've spent most of the day at Chapel Pt and whereas numbers were not very high the species diversity was.
The highlights were undoubtedly the Leach's Petrels one of which stayed around the point all afternoon and was still there when I laft at 19:00. It suffered attack from Arctic Tern, Arctic Skua and a BH Gull. Also right up there was the juv pale phase Long tailed Skua which ( to those who understand these things ) was at first thought to be a Kittywake, whilst still in bad light, such is the difference from Arctic Skua. At least 2 juv Roseate Terns passed still showing quite dark backs. I love Arctic Terns, especially fast moving family groups in rough seas, and today was a feast of Arctic Terns. And of course the Sooties and the Manxies - what a day.

Red T Diver - 2
Fulmar - 27
Sooty Shearwater - 10
Manx Shearwater - 8
Leach's Petrel - 3
Gannet - stopped counting at 200 - moving all the time
Shag - 2
Cormorant - 3
Common Scoter - 7
Pomarine Skua - 3
Arctic Skua - 61
Long -tailed Skua - 1 juv
Great Skua - 4
Med Gull - 1ad 1juv
Little Gull - 6
Sandwich Tern - 22
Roseate Tern - 2 juvs - with a group of other Terns and may have been 1 more
Common Tern - 38
Arctic Tern - 42
Commic Tern - 40+
Guillemot - 3
Puffin - 1
Auk sp - 5

Will it be as good tomorrow??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:57 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanx to a call from Ed I managed to get out from 1530 till 1900 from Skeg Seafront. Surprising what a difference 6 miles can make!! The tern numbers dont include the hard (impossible!) to Id distant birds, many of which I think were Sandwich amongst the Commics.The highlight was surely the number of Arctic Tern moving north, mostly juvs with a few adults.
Arctic Tern 84 N
Common Tern 24 N
Commic Tern 30+ N
Sandwich Tern 100+ N
Gannet 18N 5 S
Kittiwake 150 N ( moving from 1700 0nwards)
Arctic Skua 14N 5 S
Bonxie 1 juv N
UID Skua 4 N
Red Throated Diver 5 N
Sooty Shearwater 5 N
Fulmar 1 N
Guillemot 4 N
Little Gull 1 N
Leach's Petrel 1 S

Be interesting to see what JRW had at Mabo!!

Regards

Nige

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]