The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 10:23 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Green Hairstreaks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:51 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

A surprisingly early hatch of Green Hairstreaks at Gib Point today.
Thanks to Tony Burgess for finding the first ones, Monica and I then found several more immaculate individuals including 2 in the Elders on the top of Mill Hill. Most on Sea Buckthorn though.

Post subject: Re: Green Hairstreaks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:21 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Green Hairstreaks all over the reserve yesterday on Hawthorn,Buckthorn and Elder.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:09 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Numbers continue to increase. 41 individuals seen on today's Transect - amazing when 10 would have been considered good in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:48 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks for the updated info, Ed. An emergence of 41 (probably ongoing) is a terrific number of GH. Once the Lincoln-Skegness holiday traffic thins out a bit after the Easter and Royal Marriage weekends, I must do the GIB PT trip - also for birds, of course. :D

Regards,

Freddy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:45 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

4 on the golf course today at RAF Woodhall -and a Peacock.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:21 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Apologies to everybody if I'm being boring by going on about the Green Hairstreaks but numbers in todays heat and calm condititions were unbelievable. They were everywhere, flying across paths and roads, interacting in groups of upto 11 around the Hawthorns and generally showing themselves in a way that I would never have expected - most uncharacteristic of this species. There could be a thousand on the Reserve!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:11 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Edmund - reports like this are never boring. Thanks for posting and for the updates.
As my invite to the wedding hasn't arrived - though I thought I was a distant relation :D may get down on Friday so would be interested in updates on Thursday please.

Cheers,

Hugh

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:02 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Despite the near arctic conditions with max temp of 13 deg and 35 mph Easterlies there are still Green Hairstreaks to be seen all over the Reserve. There are lots of hot, sunny microclimates - such as along the cycle path and in the lee of big Hawthorns. A bit quiet otherwise!!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:09 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

GH are widespread at Saltfleetby Theddlethorpe , but the relentless 35mph easterly restricts them to sheltered sites as Ed notes at Gib, small coppers also on the wing , the drought and saltburn is causing stress to many areas of dune vegetation,( Steve Lorand has recorded painted lady at Donna Nook) . regards John.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:43 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I was chatting to Nick Tribe in the Beach Car Park at Gib yesterday morning mainly discussing the lack of butterflies and particularly Green Hairstreaks as the 11 deg/35mph wind blew clouds of dust across the car park. Nick said that he hadn't seen a single GHS all morning when Monica pointed out that he actually had a GHS perching on his windproof jacket lapel about 6" from his chin - Nick claimed it was his best view ever!!! As none of us use cameras the episode could not be recorded.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]