The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 7:27 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Swithlands Reservoir
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:22 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

We had a nice visit to Swithlands Reservoir in Leicestershire on March 26th.
In addition to the smart male Lesser Scaup which was the main attraction, we saw 16 Common Scoters - 15 of which were males. A male and female Smew. A perched Peregrine, a fly-over Raven - very vocal, and 3 Grey Wagtails.
The only downside was the horrendous journey south on the M1. Until the roadworks are completed, the area around junctions 24 -29 should be avoided when travelling south-bound. Over an hour was added to the trip by major delays - at a standstill much of the time.
It was O.K. when going north, apart from the 50 mph restriction on the afore mentioned section.

Roy.

Last edited by Roy Harvey on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:04 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Roy
Could you tell whereabouts you viewed the lake from and where you got the scotter and lesser scaup. I have visited several times in the last couple of years on the way to meetings in Quorn and viewed the area from the main road without much success. Some beautiful houses and pubs

The easiest way to Swithlands from Lincs is straight down the A46 towards Leicester then turning off at Sixhills Hotel and take any number of minor roads between the A46 and Loughbourough and make towards Barrow and Quorn (good for Buzzards by the way)

In Quorn follow signs for Swithlands

regards
Chris

Post subject: Swithlands
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:35 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Chris,
Sorry about the delay in responding but I didn't see your post until this morning.
The Lesser Scaup was viewed from the dam as were 7 of the Common Scoters and the Smew. The other 9 Scoters were at the other end of the reservoir and viewed from the public road.

Thanks for advice re. the route.
Note that my comments re. the M1 congestion were the wrong way round - the big problem was when going south. I have now corrected the original post

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:14 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks for that Roy

I visited early this morning on the way to my meeting in Quorn
As I suspected there was no sign today of any smew, scotter or lesser scaup

There were plenty of shoveler, great crested grebe, a few pairs of goldeneye, mallard, the odd gadwall, a few teal and tufted.
Plenty of cormarant in the trees and at least six herons

There was the odd chiffchaff about in the woods along with great spotted woodpecker. I also noted a few grey wagtails and about 20 sand martins down by the dam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:43 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Spent the week on a course in Quorn so each day before dinner I spent an hour or so down by the reservoir

Birds seen included

Sand Martin c 100 early in the week and dwindling down to non by Friday
Swallow each of the five days. Max about 50 on Wednesday. No House Martins
Chiffchaff every day in good numbers but no Willow Warblers
Blackcap each day
Song Thrush
Goldfinch
Goldcrest
Large numbers of chaffinch
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Nuthatch - a pair excavating a nest hole in a tree
Peregrine on two occasions in the same tree and apparently nest close by
Buzzard - several
Goldeneye still good numbers
Good numbers of Tufted Duck. A few Teal, Gadwall and Mallard
Lots (c100) Pied Wagtail and several Grey Wagtails
Great Crested Grebe in good numbers
Cormorant and Grey Herons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:55 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Chris.
When there, I was told that Lesser Spotted Woodpecker also occurs in the woods near the dam but we didn't have time to check.

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:19 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Yes Roy on Friday I was also told that too just before it started to rain and I left for home. Green Woodpeckers were also vocal as well but I didn't see one.

The dam seems to be an ideal place to see into the woods as it is above ground level and ofc ourse the leaves are not yet on the trees. I think the whole area would reward a few hours of ones time but my visits were always brief

There were also plenty of Shoveler on the lake when I visited at the beginning of the month but all had gone by Tuesday this week

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]