The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:28 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Strid Wood
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:59 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hadn't been to the Bolton Abbey Estate for six years, nothing changed except price of entry.
I had hoped to see Pied Fly'.

Arrived just before midday and it was packed. The weather during the time there was a mixture of sunny periods and showers, but at times it was warm.

The bird that made my trip worthwhile was the Dipper, the first one I saw was accomodating as it never moved from the rock it was on for at least ten minutes, during this time took quite a few photos, I was no more than the river width from it. Bit further upstream caught a quick glimpse of another. Hadn't seen Dipper [other than the one from Louth :wink: ] for four years.

Next came across 11 Goosander [females and juvs] all taking a snooze on some rocks in the river, managed some photos from way above them. Another species I hadn't seen for a few year. A Kingfisher was spotted. Plus Mallards with juvs

Never saw any butterflies etc.

Other than a mixture of Swifts, Chaffinches and Sand Martins these were the only birds seen in and aronud the wood.

While parked near the post office spotted 2 Common Buzzard.

Drove to the viewpoint at Barden Moor/ Reservoir late afternoon hoping to see some raptors, all seen was sheep, one of whom enjoyed one of my sandwiches, so much so he tried to get in the car and the boot hoping for more sandwiches and a flask of tea :lol: :wink: either that or he was hoping I'd adopt him! No raptors no nothing was seen on this very windy viewpoint. Carried on towards Embsay etc and saw one Common Buzzard, a Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, three Swallows and plenty of Crows.

As I drove past Beltoft on M180 spotted another Common Buzz.

An enjoyable but tiring day.

Regards
John

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]