The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:24 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: WWT Welney, 26/10/09
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:16 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

HIGHLIGHTS:

Barn Owl - 1 8)

Whooper Swan - circa 250
Bewick's Swan - 10
Mute Swan - 30
Pinkfeet - 10
Pochard - about 40
Northern Lapwing - 2000
Grey Heron - 2

Merlin - 1
Kestrel - 2
Sparrowhawk - 1
Marsh Harrier - 1

Impressive scenes during the bird feeding at 15:30!!! Mallards scrapping with Pochards over the food, likewise with the Mutes, Bewick's and Whoopers and Coots hoovering up what remained!

MOMENT OF FRUSTRATION: Texted Paul French in a great deal of feverish excitement as I saw a well-photographed Bar-headed Goose was on the reserve. Thinking I'd got a right humdinger of a lifer, sent the text only to receive a reply a minute later saying 'you can't count that'. I asked why not, and he said it was an escape.

Cue one wounded birder banging her head against a table in semi-comic frustration because Lifer 184 had gone kaput! Then, about an hour later, I was discussing the merits of adding Bar-headed Goose to the Life List with a reasonably elderly birdwatcher close to their Reedbed Hide. He said that nearly all Barhead escapes have ID rings on their legs but this one didn't. He showed me his photo of it and sure enough, it was ring-less. He said that was good enough evidence for him to add it to his life list.

Can I have a Semi-lifer? :mrgreen:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]